Friday, February 13, 2009

Wednesday...



Wednesday was not fun - Dilan had some jaundice. The doctor had said her chances were increased because of the bruising of her face she experienced on the way into the world. But we also weren't surprised because Drew had jaundice too. Dilan ended up under double phototherapy on Wed. She had to be under the big lights without her clothes on, with that terrible eye patch, no one really holding her unless for feeding time, and also on top of the bili-blanket the whole day and night. The nighttime was especially difficult because she was pretty much done with it and didn't want to be in there anymore. I was up until 3 a.m. with her until I just asked the nurse to take her off the big lights and just keep the blanket on her all wrapped up. The nurse said it was okay because her last bilirubin test was showing she was okay. We didn't get discharged until Thursday morning after Dilan tested negative for any infection (thank goodness!) and she was in the clear with the jaundice. So, David came to pick Dilan and me up Thursday morning and I was so ready to be home. I had been in the hospital 3 full days. I have to say the labor and delivery nurses were SO good and the mom and baby nurses were not that great at this hospital. Some of them seemed confused by the phototherapy equipment, didn't know answers to questions I'd ask, and some had very little bedside manner.

Of course, Dilan's first night home, she was up literally every hour and a half! But I am sure that will get better. I have to say she is just precious and we are loving her every minute. We are absolutely smitten. :)

5 comments:

Phillips Family said...

You know, she may hate that little mask and hat now, but, when she gets older, she will really love it when she is trying to sleep.

Dallas said...

I'm pretty sure the lights I sat under when I was a yellow baby gave me my super-human powers.

Brian and Mary said...

Congrats...congrats ..congrats...She is so beautiful!! Good Job you two!

CANADIAN AMERICAN FAMILY said...

I had the same experience...labor and delivery great..postpartum care sucky!!! She is beautiful!

herb said...

If I'm not mistaken Piedmont will call you and ask for a review. I remember either filling out a survey or taking one over the phone when I had to take our boys there. You should definitely let them know that you weren't happy!

Glad Dilan is doing better!