Saturday, February 21, 2009

Nursing



So, I've struggled a bit with the nursing but I actually think it's going to work out this time around. Those who knew me when Drew was born, nursing became quite the nightmare - 3 weeks into it, I went to see a lactation consultant and she said I needed to stop nursing him immediately because I was so torn up (I'll spare you the gory details). Drew was also tongue-tied which meant he was sucking but not drawing out the milk. So, my milk supply was drying up, Drew was constantly hungry, feeding for over an hour on me and it was just plain horrible. So, I pumped for 4 months straight while supplementing him at the same time.

Well, with this little one, this is how she looks after eating. She falls asleep, completely content and getting plenty of milk, thank goodness! She does have the problem of getting sleepy while eating so it does take longer to feed her but at least it's coming together and working. She had me in tears within 3 days because I was headed down the same road as with Drew but my mom came to my rescue and went and bought everything nursing out there and we tried it all! So, I am using some shields that have helped tremendously!!! I still have to get through another couple of weeks to feel like maybe (maybe?) the pain will go away completely and this could possibly be a nice experience like everyone describes it to be. I am still working on that.

But at least I am hopeful that I can do this and won't be having anymore meltdowns anytime soon regarding this topic. I don't know what it is but when you have a baby, you have this instinct to feed her. I thought I could let it go sooner with Dilan than with Drew because of my previous experience with him but I just couldn't. I wanted to feed her just like I wanted to feed him - it was no different at all. You just look into their eyes and you are so in love with them already and whatever it is, hormones or what, you have a strong desire to nurse your baby. So, we'll see how it all goes but I am grateful for my mom who hung in there with me and encouraged me and was willing to go above and beyond in order to see me do this. Thanks, mom.

8 comments:

Denisondays said...

Oh, she is precious!! I am glad to hear things are getting better! Please call when you need a break, we are more than happy to help any way we can!!
Shelyse

Jessica Simonsen Howard said...

Hang in there! Those first 3 weeks are horrible. I used to cringe every time any of my kids as babies would latch on. Good luck and hope it works out with your little girl. It is such a precious bonding time for you and the baby.

Melanie said...

What a beautiful picture! She is really really pretty. Good luck with nursing! The pain does get better after a little while. I used shields with Halle & they helped a ton!

Jenise said...

That picture is precious. She is so beautiful. I hope nursing works out for you. If you need anything at all, please let me know, I would be happy to help out, take Drew for playtime with Fox or whatever. How do the bracelets fit?

Shanan & Shannon said...

congratulations Kinsey! She is absolutely beautiful. Hang in there with nursing - the pain will subside...I promise...even when it doesn't seem like it will. One thing I loved...att the drug store they have things called "soothies". Put them in the fridge and then put them in your bra between feedings - that gives a little gel-pack relief. Take a deep breath at latch on and count to 10-:) You are awesome. I saw relief around day 14 and I hope you do too! Also, with Cole, I slept without a bra and just had a towel to soak up the milk and the "breath of air" seemed to help the sores too. Smiling with you, shan

CJ said...

I hope things are improving. I had some difficulty nursing my last baby. He is 4 months now, and nursing like a champ. I was taught the "asymetrical latch", and it worked miracles! Look it up on the internet, or I can scan the instructions and email them to you. Ian is now 17.5 lbs, and still growing. Good luck, and hang in there, it doesn't have to hurt.

Elieson Family said...

You sound like me. Nursing Salem was a nightmare. Some are naturals, but most babies are not. It literally takes my body like 3 months for it not to sting anymore at the beginning. And I use shells/shields with every one. Let the healing begin! You're not alone Kinsey - I've told many a first time mom that nursing was worse than labor. But after it stops hurting, whew, there is nothing better. Actually, that's not completely true, I was wanting to stop with Salem, but the rest, I was ready to nurse as long as they wanted. We're all different I suppose. Love to you! And wish me luck! Tomorrow's my big day!

Hilarie said...

She is so beautiful! And she looks so peaceful.