Sunday, January 25, 2009

Pop



I got a call last week that my grandfather was in the hospital and as the week progressed, we learned that he was being sent home with hospice care. His kidneys have failed, he has congestive heart failure and he has diabetes on top of everything which he has had for years and years. He is home now with hospice nurses but most importantly with my grandmother who he has been married to for 66 years, his children (my dad and his sister) and lots of family members and friends stopping by to say goodbye.
He isn't in pain but the doctors have told us that he has days to live. It's been hard to come to the realization that this is it; this is when we will lose him. I knew at Christmas (which is when this photo was taken) that it could be my last time to see him, hug him and tell him I loved him but to not be able to be there is so hard. I only have 2 weeks to go until this baby comes and I cannot travel. I am heartbroken about this - I know Pop knows I love him - he knows I care and I've been interested in his life doing family history research/interviews and all. But I can't believe I can't be there with my family to say goodbye and to celebrate his life, for his is truly one to be celebrated and commemorated. He has been a great example to me about what family means, what true faith in God is all about and what it means to laugh in life. I love you, Pop.

5 comments:

Clayfrogger (a.k.a. Delores) said...

What a sweet post.

T said...

Kinsey-I'm so sorry! You are blessed to have been so close to your grandparents. Not all are so lucky. And what a smart girl to have been involved in recording his history. That is going to be a gift cherished for generations. I still feel my grandparents influence,even though they are gone, and KNOW they are still very near. I don't think a day goes by that I don't think about them. That's heart wrenching not being able to be there. I know how that feels. I'm thinking about you!

Jenise said...

I am sorry to hear about your grandfather. It is very hard not to be close to family in times like these.

Kirwin said...

Pop is in no pain and comfortable in this transition. He just had his best night yet since coming home. He speaks alot during his sleep and he just spoke your name, Kinsey. He can hear us and responds to our questions so he is not unconscious or in a coma. He knows you, David and Drew are thinking of him now and that you would be here if not for our expected new arrival.

Love to all,

DAD

Wendy said...

So sorry Kins! I'm sure it must be hard. Just make sure you've made peace with him, that's the best thing to do!! Hang in there!