Thursday, October 1, 2009

Loan

To add to David's joy about paying off his one student loan from Rice, he neglected to say that we actually paid it off in 11 months. Our goal was 1 year from when it came due (nov. of last year) and we did it a month ahead of time. The loan was an amount equal to an average car and we spent all last year focused on getting it off our backs. In total, we paid $70,000 of our own money for David's MBA at Rice and it was worth it.
Additionally, we would be neglectful if we didn't acknowledge David's mother, Colleen, for providing us a place to live while David was in school. She allowed me the greatest gift of all which was to be home with Drew and only have to work evenings at my practice to support our family. She is the reason we were able to pay for the program in the first place and only take out the one loan we just finished paying off.
I know student debt is supposed to be good debt but not to us - we are completely debt-free now!

6 comments:

Jenise said...

Congrats!!! That is awesome. Time to celebrate.

Rachel said...

That is AWESOME! Nice example on self control. Adam and I dread the day that we have to start paying his student loans. But at least I was able to complete my schooling without any debt to my name:)

nicole said...

Woohoo! That's amazing! Congratulations. I bet that is such a relief.

That girl said...

Your debt freeeeeeeeeeee! You remember what a fan I am of all things financial. I am so over the top proud of you! I know that I may sound freakishly too excited, but I am so happy for you! Great work guys!

Elieson Family said...

Way to go guys, that is super impressive. I cannot believe you could pay that off in just 11 months. Seriously, awesome.

Candace said...

SO JEALOUS!!