Sunday, November 9, 2008

Proposition 8

So, I know there is a lot of controversy on this issue but I had to bring it up. I heard from my friend, Mandy, who lives in California that there is a lot of "anti-Mormon sentiment" out there because Proposition 8 passed. Then, the demonstrations near the LA temple took place. I knew the LDS church had a lot to do with it but exactly what, I didn't know. So, I decided to find out by asking some people. Then, our Bishop got up today and talked directly to us about this issue for which I was grateful.

Basically, the church did not put its own money into this cause, but it did encourage its members out in California to do so. LDS people in California were estimated to raise about 20 million of the 38 million dollars raised to fund the commercials and the overall effort to pass proposition 8. However, LDS people only consist of about 1% of the population in California. Therefore, it obviously wasn't just church members voting for this proposition to pass but interestingly enough, the media is saying a big part of the African-American and Latino population actually helped it pass the most. Anyway, I find the information interesting to say the least.
I know the Catholic church was also fighting for this proposition to pass and here is what they stated in a recent press release supporting the LDS church.

3 comments:

Shanan & Shannon said...

Kins, I actually saw pictures and video recordings of this on one of the news stations, probably Headline News or Fox News, and thought of you. It's ridiculous and just another example of how it's always someone's FAULT when people don't get their way. I'm proud of the LDS church for making such a stand and for the other churches in the area. Shannon said that there were also protests outside of an African American church. i'm sorry you guys are being targeted right now-it never feels good to be wronged when doing right. On another note, I love your new picture and backdrop!

Spencer said...

Good thoughts on the matter, Kinsey. I enjoyed reading the comments from the Catholich Church. It was nice to see quite a joint effort from many religions, and other groups. For anyone that has not read it, the Church has a great article on why they believe that marriage between a man and a woman is the only marital institution that should be supported by the government. It explains the matter beyond just moral/religious beliefs. http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/the-divine-institution-of-marriage.

Louise said...

Great post- enjoyed hanging out with everyone last night!