Monday, October 25, 2010

Nighttime in the hospital

As a lot of you know, I blogged throughout my delivery with Dilan so I could keep the information straight and record it as well. So, tonight I start this process with Drake's birth:


We arrived at the hospital tonight about 8:30 to check in for my induction tomorrow morning. For some reason, they had to get all sorts of paperwork together before they brought me to my room and asked us to stay in the waiting area for a while. We ended up staying in the waiting room for an hour and a half but the unexpected started happening while we were there. I told David I was having some contractions. Pretty soon, he was telling me they were about 7 minutes apart. When I got to my room, I asked the nurse if I could take a shower and she gave me some time to do that. After getting into the wonderful hospital gown, they hooked me up to the monitors, got my IV going, and I kept having contractions. After I was on the monitor for a while, the nurse let me know that I am having contractions now that are 2-4 minutes apart. That is when I asked, "So, if we were at home right now, you'd want me to come into the hospital, right?" And she said, "yes," and said this baby wants to come now; he's ready! It's kind of funny because I've always wanted to go into labor on my own and here I am doing just that.

The doctor came in and I am now dilated to a 2. She wanted to give me the cervidil anyway because I am not effaced at all. The cervidil will not put me into labor and they won't check to see if I am dilated anymore until the morning or until the contractions get more intense, and I ask for the epidural. They did start me on my bag of fluid now so that when the time comes to get the epidural I'll be ready. If I keep dilating on my own, I won't need the petocin in the morning so we'll see.
David went home to get some sleep and hopefully I can get some too. Although with these monitors, an IV, and contractions, I'm not sure how that is going to happen exactly! :)

1 comments:

Johnson said...

Good luck! Hope you were able to get some sleep.