Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"I can do hard things"





I got this idea from my friend, Tiffany (thanks, Tiffany!), that she posted on her blog. She did a Family Home Evening before her kids started school with a theme for the school year that had a spiritual message. I loved the idea and decided to implement it in our family as well. Of course, she is way more creative than I am but I think Drew appreciated it all the same.
I set the table with some nice plates and printed out our theme and scripture to go with it. I asked Drew what he wanted for the dinner as I would make him anything he wanted and he chose spaghetti (I know Mimi is proud as she reads this!). I also made chocolate chip cookies ahead of time because those are his favorite as well. We had a nice family dinner and had our family home evening afterward.
We asked Drew what things were hard for him to do at times and he listed things like taking a nap, going to bed, going to time out. We talked about what was hard for each of us (David said going to work, Mommy said waking up early) and that we find strength through our faith to do hard things. We read our scripture (Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.") and discussed how our faith in Jesus Christ can help us through prayer and Christ's example in his own life. It was a wonderful night and we talked about Drew going to school and that he will be asked to learn hard things but that we know he can do it.
Thanks, Tiffany, for a wonderfully inspired idea, keep posting them! :)

2 comments:

herb said...

What a great and wonderful idea!

Candace said...

What a great idea and you are such a good mom for doing it!! You are and inspiration!