Sunday, January 10, 2010

Getting to the game...

So, as most of you know, we just got back from our trip to California to the 2010 BCS National Championship game! I have a lot to write and document so it will come in several posts I am sure. But what an amazing adventure!


As far as getting to the game, we had reasons to be concerned. A snow storm was supposed to come in the day we were leaving. We had heard it would be around 6-10 inches but was hopeful because our flight was in the morning, we'd be okay. We didn't sleep well Wed. night at all - we all had coughs and worrying about the snow, etc. By 3 a.m. it hadn't even snowed at all so I didn't think we were in trouble. Well, the flight ended up being okay and on time for departure. So, we leave to go to the airport.
All of a sudden, we realize they have not plowed the roads and it might take us a little longer to get to the airport. About a mile or two from our house someone stops in front of David, he even touches the brakes and we skid off the road into the snow! I'm not kidding - we get STUCK! At this point, I was beginning to freak out and panic. It is snowing, we can't get the car out of the road and no one is stopping. I finally wave someone down who pulls over to help us and by a miracle, 10 minutes later and this guy instructing us on how to get out, we somehow get the car back on the road. I thanked him profusely and David did an excellent job driving us in the terrible weather.
At this point, I am thinking it might take us longer to get to the freeway but the freeway has to be plowed and we'll be fine then. Of course, once we get to the highway, there is major traffic because of the weather. My heart began racing and I seriously felt like I couldn't breathe. Basically, I was having very high anxiety and experiencing my first real panic attack. Now, some of you may think that is extreme. But when you can't get to the airport and your plane will take off without you and you've dreamed of going on this trip forever, and your family is meeting you there and counting on you to rent the car and the hotel reservation is in your name, I was just beside myself with worry. I called my sister who was the only one who could calm me down and tried to stay on the phone with her.
We just kept going and kept moving and the clock just kept getting nearer to our departure time. Basically, our flight was at 8:45 and we actually got to the airport at 8:20. Yes, we had 25 minutes to park, RUN, go through security, and RUN again. I felt like I was in the amazing race (reality tv show). David and I were running full speed and my chest was burning and I kept imagining what if this was for a million dollars?
So, luckily for us there was no line at security really and we made it through. We ran and ran and ran to our gate as fast as we could - David was way ahead of me - and we made it! I could NOT believe it. It took me a while to calm down and get my shoes back on, my belt, etc. They were boarding when we showed up and so we had a minute to get ourselves together and board the plane. Well, in all of that chaos, I left my coat sitting right there at the gate. I just grabbed my purse and camera and left it! So, with no coat and both of us having middle seats not sitting next to us, we just were thankful to be on that plane.
The best part was sitting for an hour and a half waiting to get de-iced! Then, we took off for LA which was a 4 hr flight. Middle seats by ourselves for 5.5 hours!!! But, I am telling you miracles do happen - it was a miracle we made it and lucky for all of us, originally we were supposed to come in earlier than everyone else (my sister and brother and his wife met us there) and yet we were only delayed about 15 minutes after everyone in my family arrived at the airport. We all met up within minutes really and we were on our way - it was unbelievable!!!
Lessons learned:
1. NEVER leave the day you have to be somewhere for something that won't wait for you. i.e. a football game, a wedding, anything with a time stamp on it!
2. Snow is snow even if it's not as much as you think. It will take at least 3x as long getting anywhere. It took us 1.5 hours to get to the airport that morning when it should have taken 30 minutes.
3. Prayer works, miracles do happen and yes, it's okay to pray to get to football game.
4. My husband is calm under pressure like no one I've seen before. I was amazed how cautious he drove and how cool and collected he was. I would have never made it without him - he was on top of everything from checking in to running to the right security line, to running to the gate.

More to come...

1 comments:

Candace said...

Kinsey I get panic attacks like that EVERY time I fly. We could leave 3 hours before our flight leaves and I still feel like I can't breathe and have to throw up. I feel for you! Sorry you had to go through that...but so glad you got there safe!