Sunday, March 16, 2008

Oh nuts!

So, for those of you who don't know, David is allergic to nuts. When he was 6 mths old, he got a hold of some peanut butter, couldn't breathe, turned blue and his parents rushed him to the hospital. In order to avoid a repeat experience with our own children, the doctors have told us to wait until our children are 3 years old to have nuts of any kind. You may not think this a big deal but honestly, it can be a big pain to make sure Drew doesn't get a hold of something with peanut butter in it. We've done a good job until now... last Friday, my grandfather, "Pop," was in the hospital and we went to Beaumont to visit him. We were all in the waiting area for 2.5 hrs. Drew did great but it was during lunchtime and we all were getting hungry. One of the snacks I was eating happened to be peanut butter crackers (they had free snacks at the hospital donated by a local church). I was in the middle of a conversation with my brother when David called my name... I looked down and Drew was chomping on one of my crackers and I didn't even notice it. He had taken a good bite and was swallowing it. I guess if anywhere this could have happened, it was good that we were in a hospital! But nothing happened except that I took the rest of the cracker away and Drew wanted more. So, not only is he probably not allergic to nuts/peanut butter but he probably likes them! Much to David's dismay of course... :)

3 comments:

V and Co. said...

thank goodness that happened in the right place at the right time! and thank goodness he gets to eat the most wonderful candy in the world which just happens to be reeses peanut butter cups! i loooooove those! maybe i should pretend to be allergic to them so i dont eat as many!

Hilarie said...

yea! that is good news. one less thing to worry about! on a side note. i am so excited to try a jodi picoult book! :) after i tackle pillars of the earth! :0

Phillips Family said...

I remember watching Dave puff up after eating an almond based tarte on our mission. It was awesome.