Sunday, March 2, 2008

10K RUN


We did it! Our first 10K RUN! Last year, David and I both ran 5Ks - I ran one for Mothers for Clean Air back in April and David ran one with his sisters for the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day. So, we both decided a 10K was next and David got us signed up for the Houston Rodeo run. My goal was to make it the whole 6.2 miles without stopping, and I did it! My time was 1hr6min and David's was 1hr14min. David had played 36 holes of golf the day before - not the best strategy the day before the race so his legs got pretty tired. Actually, it was my strategy to encourage him to do the 2 rounds of golf so I could finally beat him at something athletic!... not really, I only wished I would have thought of that beforehand.

Honestly, this run was easier for me than the 5K last year - maybe my trips to the YMCA have actually been paying off! The hardest part of the race was the fact that we had four inclines/declines during the race and for Houston, no one is expecting that because the land is very flat here. But they made us run over a bridge and back again... we also ran through a part of downtown that I knew was very scary at night but the funniest memory is running by this house where this Hispanic lady was shaking maracas and screaming, "Yes, you can!," over and over again in Spanish.
The picture above is right after David crossed the finish line. The picture below is my mom and Sam with Drew and David and I in front of the Houston skyline at Minute Maid Park where the race ended.

David's buddies from school, Herman on the left and Brent on the right taking a 'tired' picture at the end of the race. David has made great friends at Rice including these guys and they all wanted to do this together.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

nice job! i'll bet you were proud of yourself. you should check out cassie's blog (my sis in law). she just ran a half marathon and evidently did a great job.

Kinsey Pistorius said...

I saw Cassie's blog and that is great that she did that! My sisters-in-law ran a half-marathon last month too and my sister has ran 2 marathons in the past so I guess I need to get cracking and do the half-marathon now!

Wendy said...

nice job!!! still can't believe David got beat by a girl--well, yes I can. It's even better that it was his wife! Good job Dave & Kins!

Elieson Family said...

Way to go Kinsey! I so need to get my act together and do this!!! You are an inspiration!