Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Hemangioma???

I just wanted to update some of you on a diagnosis we got for Drake the other day. He has been diagnosed with a hemangioma. Last week I noticed a bump on the back of his neck. It looked like he had gotten hit on the back of his neck and there was a bump swelling there. But no bruise and no redness, almost a white spot in the middle of the bump. The next day it did go down some, but I made an appointment with the pediatrician and went in. The doctor said a hemangioma is common in infants and they manifest in various ways - strawberries, birthmarks, red raised bumps, and swelling as in the case of Drake. They occur on the face and neck and it is a cluster of blood vessels close to the skin that swell with blood. Usually this is noticed in the hospital at birth or later at 3-4 months which is exactly Drake's age now. It had not swelled until last week for the first time.
The doctor said it will most likely go away on its own by age 2 or 3. If not and it impedes with the formation of Drake's head shape, then they will consider treatment then. Also, we had to make an appointment for an ultrasound to confirm this diagnosis by the pediatric radiologist. We did the ultrasound today, and hopefully I'll get the test results soon. The good news the doctor said is that it is not cancer but she did say the bump could get very big which completely freaked me out.

I'll be honest, this whole thing has been scary for me and until we get the results, I won't quit worrying about it. It is terrifying to be faced with even the thought of him being sick or having a health issue. Right now he is not bothered by it so that helps. He is just such a precious baby, and I can't help wanting my child's life to be a safe, healthy, and happy one.



3 comments:

Kristine Pratt said...

how awful! My neighbors in Cheyenne, there little girl had that on her forehead. Hers was red and started to fade when she turned one. So sorry to hear this, I would be worrying too!

John and Laura said...

I hope you'll get the results soon. I will be praying for you both!

Phillips Family said...

Wow, that is a little crazy...we hope the best for him. We are sure it will be fine...and once it is, Adam can think of a hundred jokes to tell...until then, we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.