Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Update

We have arrived in Georgia! We drove to Lafayette on Sunday afternoon, got there in four hours on Sunday evening. We ended up staying in a pretty sketchy hotel that night - David looked up "pet friendly" hotels and we chose the Quality Inn. Not great, not great at all. It was pretty bad but as long as there weren't any bugs, I was okay. Then, we got up Monday morning and drove 6 hours total to Montgomery, Alabama. We had a nice dinner and rested that night quite a bit. Then, yesterday we explored Montgomery in the morning and then drove the remaining two hours to Peachtree City, Georgia. We got into our temporary housing - 3 bedroom apartment and moved all of our stuff in.
We also had our second car delivered to us today - yeah! And met our first new neighbor, Buck. No, I am not kidding, that is really his name. I had a good experience yesterday evening going to Walmart - it was really nice and I actually got a good parking spot. I think a lot of people here don't shop at Walmart thinking it is beneath them because this is a very wealthy area and they fought the whole Walmart thing I hear. But it made me feel somewhat less homesick to walk into Walmart and see such familiarity! Plus, the woman checking me out at the register was very friendly. That is the thing, people are just as friendly here as they are back home, it is quite nice.
Well, you would have thought I only had to make one Walmart trip but I made two within minutes and we still have more things to get. Good thing it isn't far away.
Today, we drove to David's work, 12 minutes total, and visited a golf cart shop. We want to get one but we have to do more research around it all. Anyway, we are going out for sushi tonight - David and Drew are taking me out for my birthday which was on Monday, I am getting a new cell phone from them (hopefully, a blackberry) and David starts work tomorrow!

5 comments:

V and Co. said...

wooohooo! i'm glad you are finally there! sorry about the sketchy hotel! hope he has a great first day!

John and Laura said...

Glad you're getting settled into your new home. Hope everything will go smoothly and you will quickly feel at home.

Robyn said...

I'm glad to hear everything went pretty well. I'll miss you and Laura visiting me every month! Good luck and have fun in Georgia! Keep in touch!

Unknown said...

Hey Pisto, It's Hutch!! Congrats on the move to Ga. At least you're still in the dirty south. I wish I'd known you were driving through Louisiana cause we're in Baton Rouge. Cool to find your blog and see your fam.

Phillips Family said...

Ah yes, Walmart...you know, Walmart is a lot like the church. You always know where stuff is, everyone is always friendly, and no matter where you go, it is pretty much the same.