Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Oprah's Life Class

A few weeks ago, my sister emailed me an announcement that Oprah Winfrey was taping one of her life classes in Houston and that we should enter the lottery system to get tickets. So we all did, my sister, me, my mom and my sister even got her husband to do it. Sure enough, my mom got tickets! Then, Keely's husband got tickets too! We had struck entertainment gold. The class was on a Friday of one of the weekends I had to be in Houston anyway so I took the kids out of school on Thursday to cactch a flight to Houston. My sister was gracious enough to watch my kids Friday morning while my mom and I went. Then, Keely took a friend to the afternoon show.
I have to say that I was definitely an avid Oprah show watcher for many years. David and I even went by her studio in Chicago when we were there once taking pictures by her sign and visiting her souvenir shop. But I really just wanted to see her in person as she is a true icon no matter how you may feel about her. However, I don't watch her new network at all. So, I have been out of touch with the Oprah craze for a over a year now. Therefore, it was no suprirse that I was a little taken aback with the obvious Oprah groupies who showed up, yelling and screaming for Oprah and trying to get attention for how much they "love her." I have never "loved" any celebrity or pop star for that matter. If you were to ask me who my favorite singer was at any time in my life, I would not have an answer for you. I always liked the music or the songs, not the actual person behind it or at least I wouldn't get obsessed with them. But given the chance to see Oprah Winfrey live was once in a lifetime.
For the morning show, she had Pastor Joel Osteen on who is from Houston and they talked about "I am" statements which are basically positive affirmations and how God dreams bigger for our lives than we do. It was very much a motivational few hours which was good but also just okay and not anything life-altering for me or my mom. But I have to say, Oprah was on and didn't miss a beat. She related personal and funny stories during commercials and that was definitely the person I've seen on tv all those years. It was worth going and definitely fun to do with my mom and hear my sister's afternoon show experience as well. But at the end of the day, when I came home and Drake woke up from his nap cuddling with me, that was the best part of my day and it had nothing to do with Oprah. :)
Here's a picture of me about to go inside the Hobby Center
 Our view of the set
 Me and my mom in our seats
 Pastor Joel Osteen and Oprah doing the show
 As close as I could get with my camera so it's a bit blurry, but this is during commerical of the second hour (notice the change of clothes) :)

0 comments: