Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Ancestor Parade

Dilan had an ancestor parade at school last week. They were supposed to dress up as someone from their country of origin. Now in my own childhood, I knew I was predominately French and Italian. Of course, I was lot of other things too but I at least had a 100% French Cajun grandmother and a 100% Italian grandfather, making me a fourth of both which was the most of anything I had. But in thinking about my own children, it's just become ridiculous trying to figure out what origin they are the most. Let's face it, they are mostly American. The school suggested dressing the kids up in red, white and blue for America but was basically a cop out and way too easy to do. So, I decided to think outside the box and bit and dress Dilan up as a Mormon Pioneer. David's mother's side comes from the pioneers who made the trek across the U.S. to get to Utah and I think my kids should be very proud of that. So, I grabbed a bonnet, a dress she already had, and borrowed an apron from a friend. The school suggested the child holding a flag or a sign so I made one for Dilan that read, "I come from the Mormon Pioneers."
At first, she did not want to wear this costume... can you blame her? I wasn't sure she would wear it actually even when we got to the school that morning. But when the parade started, she marched along with the rest of the kids and smiled. She looked beautiful and so precious. I am grateful for our ancestors and was glad Dilan was honoring the Mormon Pioneers that day. :)


0 comments: