Sunday, April 24, 2011

Gettysburg Take 2

On Saturday, my Dad and I went to Gettysburg, PA. He had never been there before, and I was able to go without my kids so I saw everything I wanted to see this time around. It was worth a second visit for sure. I was able to see the entire movie they presented about the battle at Gettysburg (whereas before I had to take Dilan out) and I saw the cyclorama which I missed last time too. My Dad and I even bought a CD for the auto tour and we toured every site there was to see. A very interesting part of history for sure even though it's still hard to see where the Confederates lost (even though it was important that they did lose the Civil War).


The Gettysburg Cyclorama was huge - a painting a French artist did back in 1883 measuring 27 feet high and 359 feet in circumference. It was so neat to see it in it's fullness and I took some pictures of certain parts of the battle.


The artist painted himself into the painting. He is in the center leaning up against the tree with his hand on his hip and a sword across his knees.

Love the uniforms
My Dad looking at pictures of some of the Confederate soldiers lost in the battle.
Abraham Lincoln and the Gettysburg Address

0 comments: