Thursday, November 4, 2010

Halloween 2010

This year was such a special treat to have my family here for Halloween. We started the night by trying to get another family photo. It was a bit cold outside and I thought it would be good to try and get one before our photographers left (i.e. Keely) the next day but as with young children, it's just hard to do. I wanted the kids in their big brother, big sister and little brother t-shirts that my sister got them. They are so cute because they also have their names on them as well. :)


David, Dilan and Drew
David, Dilan, Drew, Drake and me
Dilan as Snow White
Dilan did not like this dress. When we first put it on her, she wanted it off even though she wears dresses every Sunday to church. I'm not sure how this dress was different but it was like she immediately knew it was a costume. At age 2, Drew completely refused to wear a Halloween costume so I can't be too surprised. But we put it on her Halloween night over her clothes because it was cold and we thought she may not notice the dress as much. But she still was yanking at it to take it off of her. Eventually we were able to distract her enough that she ended up wearing it! And she LOVED trick or treating - she just could not get enough of it.
David, Drew and Dilan
Cousins at Halloween (thomas the trains, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White)
Halloween family photo - Drake is wearing a "my first Halloween" sleeper
Snow White trick or treating - Dilan loved going door to door to get the candy and always said, "Thank you" afterwards.
Drew and Lacey - total PROS at trick or treating now! :)
Keely's husband, Lars, turned 30 the day after Drake was born so we celebrated his birthday Halloween night along with my mom's birthday this weekend. It's rare all of us are in the same place to celebrate these occasions so we took advantage of it.
And I actually did make this jack-o-lantern cake for our family celebration! I'm so glad it turned out!!!
My mom with 3 of her grandkids who all helped her blow out the candles.
Drake and David
me and Drake
Drew the next morning with his loot
Dilan wanted to keep carrying her candy around the next day, emptying it out, and filling it back up!
Drake sleeping through Halloween festivities
Apparently, my boys like the swing and my little girl hated it! I'm so glad Drake is like his older brother because he seems to not mind the swing at all whereas Dilan would scream when we would attempt to even put her in it. Actually now that I think about it, she still gets in the swing at the park and lasts maybe 30 seconds before she wants to get out. I guess that doesn't really change a whole lot!
My mom, my hero!!! My mom stayed after everyone left in order to help me and that she did and then some! She was amazing, cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, taking care of the kids, staying up late with me, going to the store... the list is truly endless. I could not have made it without her support, and I was so sad today when she left. I know I can do this only because she has and still does instill that belief in me, that I can do anything, even if it's hard. She worries about me but has total faith in me as a mom and teaches me that being a mother is top priority. She is a great example to me and I can only imagine there will be a day I am there to help Dilan when she is a mother, no matter if it's her first or third time, and I will remember these precious days my mother made countless sacrifices to come when I needed her. "Thank you" doesn't quite seem like enough when it comes to the gratitude and appreciation I feel for her and all she does for me. I love you, Mom - THANK YOU!!!
Finally, as I reflect on the past 10 days, I am beyond overwhelmed with the support of my family. Literally every member was here for Drake's birth. It was very special indeed. One of my friends on one of my earlier posts commented how fortunate I am to have my family here for me and she is totally right. They all gave up a lot to be here (vacation, $, leaving significant others at home, my dad helping my 88 yr old grandmother make the trip on a plane nonetheless, etc.). I feel so loved and I know my kids do too. :)

7 comments:

Johnson said...

You are crazy ambitious to bake that cake. You are such a good host even right after having a baby. Very sweet post. Sounds like your mom helped a ton. That is so nice!

Wendy said...

So glad your family was there to help! Kids were precious in their costumes! Can't believe you're a family of 5 now!!! Can't wait to see Drake!

Kristine Pratt said...

I teared up as you talked about how grateful you are for your moms help. And your cake looks amazing!

MawMille said...

You are so welcome! What an honor and priviledge for me to be able to be with you at such a special time. You have a beautiful family and you are a fantastic mother. Your husband and children are so fortunate to have you. I will be here whenever you need me. I love you. - Mom

Brian and Mary said...

Conrats on the new little addition !! Drake is a cutie. Looks like u are all well..we are good just fell off the wagon a bit with the whole blogging thing after moving to Texas which by the way l love it here....go long horns haha how's Beva...you still have that cute dog? Your fam is adorable ! Take care bri and mar

Jenise said...

Ok, so it takes me awhile to check out any blog posts, but I am so glad I finally did. You have such a beautiful family. Drew is as cute as ever, Dilan is beautiful, and Drake, what a cutie!!! He is just a chunck and doesn't look so much like a new born with all that chunkiness. I LOVE IT!!! It reminds me of my chuncks. Oh and you look great too! I hope you are doing well with your recovery and 3kids to juggle.

Phillips Family said...

What a great Halloween!! Loved all the costumes!!