Monday, July 22, 2013

Dilan's surgery

Dilan had her tonsillectomy and her adenoidectomy last Friday. She did so good! She was very brave. I had to wake her up at 5:45 a.m. to get to the surgery center by 6:10 a.m. I thought she'd just sleep in the car but she got right up and wanted to be alert for everything. We brought her pillow pet, Bubbles, and some books too. We got checked in and she didn't like the hospital bracelet too much -so much so that the lady gave her a new one. Then she got to pick between a bunny and a bear for a new stuffed animal. She chose the bunny and named it "Red." Then, she told me she was going to give it to Drake when she got home because he didn't have a bunny and she already did. I got Dilan dressed in her tiger hospital gown, we put on her bright green socks, and then she took her "medicine juice" which made her calm. The nurse had me get in bed with Dilan because she said the medicine sometimes makes kids do funny things. But Dilan just got relaxed and we laid together in the bed cuddling before they wheeled her off!
Here is Dilan and "Red"
 Talking to Daddy and Drake on the phone
 Ready to go!
 Dilan chose a purple popsicle for her recover room. The doctor warned me that she would wake up "mad" but Dilan was very calm and happy when I saw her. But in fact, she had a delayed reaction and got upset at the heart monitor on her toe. She started kicking to get it off and not knowing how to tell me what she wanted. I finally figured it out after taking off her sock. She cried a lot and the anesthesiologist and the nurse seemed confused because they said she should have had this reaction right when she woke up, not that much later. But leave it to my little girl to surprise us all!
Dilan received a care package from her sweet friend full of goodies like a Barbie color and sticker book,  La la loopsy notebook, pencil, eraser and pencil sharpner, Minnie Mouse/Daisy Duck best friend coloring book, along with popsicles too. It was the sweetest thing and Dilan loved it!
Dilan has been recovering at home now for four days and she is doing so well! I was told to expect day 3 to be the worst but we are smooth sailing through it. I am keeping her on her meds and hoping she will surprise me and not have any bad days at all. We'll see!

0 comments: