Saturday, April 7, 2012

Dallas Tornado

Tuesday was like any other day. I saw dark clouds in the sky in the morning and thought that it might rain. A friend came over and we worked on Relief Society stuff, ate lunch, and they left when it came to nap time. Then, I got a text from a friend saying there was a tornado watch in the area. I got on the phone and was chatting away, never heard any tornado sirens that apparently were going off all around me, and then I heard it. Loud thumping noise accompanied by massive rain. I looked outside to see big white things falling from the sky. I thought it was hail but had never seen it that big. I thought of my car and how it was parked underneath the cover outside but if there was any wind at all, my van would be toast. Here's where I feel sorry for myself that we don't have a house yet with a garage. Anyway, it last about 20 minutes and luckily the kids were asleep. I watched the storm from my window capturing a bit on video and when it passed, found this outside. Baseball-size hail had fallen everywhere. We were fortunate it didn't last longer and it wasn't stronger. But we did get the worst of the hail anywhere. The parking lot had massive damage to every car that was out there. A neighbor told me my back window was smashed and so when I went to look, sure enough, it was totally obliterated. I re-parked the car sideways so no more water could get in the car as there was already about 6 inches in the back. It was a mess, tree branches everywhere, holes in windows, and cars that were now undrivable. But we were okay. I know others were very traumatized by the whole event but maybe because I've been through hurricanes and tropical storm flooding in Houston, 20 minutes of a tornado didn't scare me too much. Now if the roof had blown off, I think it would have but I was never in fear of that. It did take some time to get Drew home from school but once he was home safe, I didn't worry. Now, it's time to get the van fixed.

1 comments:

Johnson said...

That is a TON of hail! I was worried when I saw how bad things were on the news. Glad you guys are all ok.