Saturday, December 10, 2011

1st Grade Fun Night

Drew had his first "lock-in" Thursday night. The first graders were doing a fundraiser where they could come for a fun night and spend it with their teachers and their friends. They wore their pajamas, brought sleeping bags, blankets and pillows and played games, ate pizza and ice cream, and watched the Polar Express. The cost was $25 and Drew wanted to go very badly. I told Drew that this was a great opportunity to choose to spend some of his own money if he really wanted to do it. He insisted he would pay all of the $25 to go! So, we negotiated on him spending $10 and us contributing the rest.

I took the opportunity to praise his choice of spending his money on experiences and memories in life rather than on toys and things. This kid totally gets it. I was very proud of him that he spent his money this way, and I was happy he partook of such a fun event. When I went to pick him up, he looked so tired, but when I asked him if it was some fun, a lot of fun, or WAY fun, he answered, "WAY fun, Mom." :)
Drew with all of his stuff on the stage at the beginning of the event when I dropped him off
Moving right on to coloring and playing games

0 comments: